Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Day Camp

Eliana and Olivia are going to Ms.Dianna camp this week ... it's a day camp put on by the preschool teacher at MICP. She holds it out at her house ... a few acres to run, hike, play, and swim. She has a barn with dress up clothes, a huge play structure, a pool, hot tub, and a great porch for story time, snacks, and crafts. Each week has a theme, so this week is plants. They have been planting and digging in her garden. The girls have been having a blast.

The downside is that Eliana has come home with more attitude and new phrases in the last two days than her entire first year at public school. Yesterday she asked me why I brought them chocolate graham crackers. I told her it was because I knew she liked them. There was a moment of silence in the back seat and then I hear a very disgusted, "DUH!" I was so surprised I choked, and then I started laughing. It was so obviously a new word to try out, and it didn't even quite fit the situation. This morning she told Beth (the mom who picked her up) about how her brother got into her paints. Beth asked her why he did it and she said, "My mom and dad would probably say that he did it because he didn't know any better, but I don't think so. I think he did it because he's a big JERK!" When Beth told me about it, my jaw hit the ground, I couldn't believe that my sweet Eliana would say that. I guess it should have been a hint since we've been hearing a lot of "stupid-head" and "idiot-head" ... needless to say, the older kids at Ms.Dianna camp are not on my top 10 list today. I'm actually wondering if we should cancel our second week in August.

The past two days have definately been draining on Olivia. She had a ten minute screaming tantrum when we were trying to leave. All the other kids and parents were staring, and Ms.Dianna looked scandalized. I think she couldn't believe that cuddly Olivia was a tantrum kid. Amy Gilson walked by and said, "I thought that sounded like Olivia!"

I'm amazed at how quickly the day can go by with the girls gone. I thought I would feel like I have tons of time, but I don't. I have a few hours in the morning, then lunch for me and Corbin, then naps, and then it's time to go pick them up.

1 comment:

Lorri Cooper said...

I'm laughing, because I remember you trying out really bad words to call someone. When you were really mad, the worst thing you could think of to call someone was a dodohead.
Love, MOM