Monday, June 9, 2008

The pace of life

What is it about this time of year that seems to run away with you?? I can't seem to take a breath, and then whoosh. It's over. So here's the update of what has been happening in our house.

Eliana and Olivia had a dance recital. They were adorable (of course). Olivia was a fire ant ... which meant lots of marching in lines. Eliana tapped to "Jeremiah was a Bullfrog" ... so she and Olivia have been singing the song constantly since then. And her ballet dance was a dandelion.

The next week, I was taking a nap with Corbin, and Eliana comes running in, "Mom! Olivia cut her own hair!" and then brings me HANDFULS of hair. I bawled and bawled. Olivia sat on my lap and bawled with me. She looks like tinkerbell now, though. It's cute ... she can pull it off.

Then Olivia had preschool graduation. it was very cute.

Then Eliana had kindergarten graduation. She was so beautiful. The classes (all 90 students) came in with these ribbon "wings" to the song "I believe I can fly" ... needless to say, I was a little sniffly. Unfortunately, the battery died on my camera, so I didn't get a single picture of it.

Eliana also lost her first tooth. She wanted it out so badly. I was convinced that it wasn't ready, but she just worked and worked at it one afternoon and got it out. She'd been working at it, and then during dinner, she bit on the tooth (it kinda crunches at that stage) and then she was too excited to eat. She begged me to try pliers, so I let her. It was very funny watching her try to grab the tooth with pliers. Eventually, the old twist the tooth worked the best. Of course. So then she had to decide about where to PUT the tooth for the tooth fairy. I think if she wasn't so convinced that the tooth fairy is real, she would have realized that it's not logical for the tooth fairy to exist. But somehow, she is able to still believe. She asked me how the tooth fairy knows she lost a tooth, and what if the tooth fairy forgets, and how does the tooth fairy get in ... and my favorite: if fairies are pretend, how come there's a tooth fairy??? (that was a tough one, believe me!) Then she decided to write the tooth fairy a letter to tell her to take the tooth but leave the box (she had a little tooth box) and that she wanted $5 for her tooth. Now, I'm pretty sure that the tooth fairy was planning on leaving only $1, but I think she was so overwhelmed by the cuteness of the letter that she left the whole $5.

Now that school is out, things have calmed down. Which is great. Except now Corbin is not feeling well. And that is very frustrating!

Life doesn't ever slow down. It just seems to pause for a moment.

No comments: